Shenzhen's existing urban sculpture management mechanisms are inadequate. Quality urban sculptures are mingled with poorer ones. To solve these two problems, the Urban Design Department commissioned the Public Art Center to compile the "Master Plan of Urban Sculptures in Shenzhen". SCD was invited by the Public Art Center project team to participate and be in charge of the investigation of spatial layout of sculptures and sculpture planning configuration. How to avoid the conventional practice of urban sculptures being spatially distributed as the outcome of wishful thinking and, ultimately, be dismissed? SCD wishes the public could participate in the whole process of the formulation. By identifying the spatial problems of urban sculpture in Shenzhen through status quo investigation, precedent studies, case analyses, spatial analyses, planning configuration and other processes, resolution could be proposed and contributed to the Master Plan. The highlights of this project are public participation and shift the research focus from the location distribution of urban sculptures to public space suitable for urban sculpture. Through seminars, design and life public forum, coolchat party and other activities，SCD encourages the public to be aware of the surrounding sculptural space or the characteristics and quality of public space.
Urban sculpture is an old concept. Its transition to the concept of public art means that the development of sculpture-public art is no longer merely determined by artists and relevant departments, but by the active participation of the public, intervention of media and change of mindset of politicians and local government.
- How to serve the city with urban sculpture-public art planning and change the environment of public art in the city in a practical manner?
- What grass-root governments can do to develop urban sculptures?
- What kinds of government or public actions are relevant to urban sculptures or can be incorporated with them?
- What are correct administrative measures, reasonable management mechanisms and appropriate funds?
- How to change or improve the existing mechanism through planning so that it is more feasible rather than conceptual?
We are sorry that the english details are not fully available online at the moment. If you need more information, please contact us by email@example.com.
Thanks for your understanding.
Shenzhen Center for Design