Key Urban Renewal Unit in East Xinqiao Area (tentative name: Xinqiao Smart and Innovation City) is the first km²-level urban renewal unit in Shenzhen. It is located in the southeast of Xinqiao Sub-district of Bao'an District, bordering Guangzhou-Shenzhen Expressway on the west, mainly industrial area on the north, and natural ecological zones on the east and south. As a key industrial city of Guangzhou-Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Corridor, the Project enjoys unique location advantage and extremely high development value, with intelligent manufacturing and innovative R&D as the core industrial elements.
To fully realize the industrial value of the Project, the Leading Group Office for Key Industrial Urban Renewal Projects in East Xinqiao Area (Urban Renewal Bureau of Bao’an District), with Shenzhen Bao’an Industry Group Co., Ltd. as the co-organizer, organizes an Urban Design Competition of Key Urban Renewal Unit in East Xinqiao Area to conduct thorough and detailed study on urban design of this renewal unit and promote its high-standard planning and development.
The planning scope includes detailed urban design scope and conceptual research scope.
(1) Detailed urban design scope: defined by Zhuang Cun Lu on the north, Guangzhou-Shenzhen Expressway on the west, and Gan Lin Lu plus the existing construction boundary on the south and east. It is composed of the key urban renewal unit of East Xinqiao Area and the urban renewal unit of Kangda Industrial Base, covering an area of about 1.6km².
(2) Conceptual research scope: closely related peripheral areas including the detailed urban design scope; defined by Xin Yu Lu and Outer Ring Expressway on the north, Guangzhou-Shenzhen Expressway on the west, Fenghuang No.2 Industry Zone on the south and extensive mountains and reservoirs on the east, totaling a land area of about 10 km².
This Design Competition calls for forward-looking urban design from design firms around the globe. Participants should benchmark against high-end parks worldwide and aim to make the Project a world-class intelligent manufacturing park in the Greater Bay Area. It is expected to, on the basis of the existing planning achievements, provide systematic design for such urban design elements of the renewal unit as layout structure, publicspace, environmental landscape, spatial form, color and texture, so as to achieve the core objective of building an intensive and highly efficient intelligent manufacturing park with ecological and cultural heritage and outstanding features in East Xinqiao Area.
1. Domestic and international design firms are welcome to register for the Design Competition. Registration in the name of consortium is allowed, but that in the name of an individual or a team of individuals will not be accepted.
2. If a design firm or one member of a consortium has the Grade-A qualification for urban and rural planning, it only needs to provide documents of its reference projects and team composition; otherwise, it needs to the idea of conceptual proposal in addition to the aforesaid documents.
3. For a design firm that the Organizer intends to invite but has not finalized the invitation, only documents of its reference projects and team composition are needed.
The Design Competition adopts a hybrid approach of “invitation + open registration” to select the participants. It plans to invite 3 design firms to submit design proposal, and, through a prequalification process, select another 6 teams from the openly registered design firms to submit design proposals.
Finalizing Participant List
Letters of Intent sent to design firms
Release of announcement of the Design Competition
Receipt of the soft copies of registration documents from the design firms receiving the letters
Decision and announcement of the 3 shortlisted design firms by the Organizer
Before 17:00, Feb.15, 2019
Submission of the soft copies of registration documents from the design firms openly registering for the Design Competition; closing of registration
Before 17:00, Feb. 20, 2019
Submission of the hard copies of registration documents
Feb. 22, 2019
Review of the registration documents by the prequalification team to shortlist 6 design firms to proceed with the subsequent design phase.
Announcement of prequalification results and distribution of Shortlist Notice and technical design brief
Feb. 26, 2019
Site visit and Q&A
March 7, 2019
Deadline for submitting questions in written form
Before 17:00, Apr. 26, 2019
Submission of design proposals
By the end of Apr. 2019
Proposal evaluation meeting
Early May 2019
Announcement of evaluation results
Proposal detailing, refinement and coordination
Notes: All the time and dates are shown in Beijing Time. The Organizer reserves the right to adjust the schedule.
The proposal evaluation team will review the design proposals submitted by the 9 design firms according to the review procedures. Rewards will be given to the design firms as follows.
First place (1 winner): RMB Six Million Only (in figure: ￥6,000,000.00), including the fee of RMB Two Million Only (in figure: ￥2,000,000.00) for proposal consolidation;
Second place (2 winners): RMB Two Million Only (in figure: ￥2,000,000.00) each;
Finalists (6 finalists): RMB Eight Hundred Thousand each (in figure: ￥800,000.00).
Leading Group Office for Key Industrial Urban Renewal Projects in East Xinqiao Area (Urban Renewal and Land Readiness Bureau of Bao'an District,ShenZhen)
Organizer: Leading Group Office for Key Industrial Urban Renewal Projects in East Xinqiao Area (Urban Renewal and Land Readiness Bureau of Bao'an District,ShenZhen)
Co-Organizer: Shenzhen Bao'an Industrial Group Co., Ltd.
Technical Consultant: Shenzhen Bao'an Institute of Urban Planning and Design
Organizing Consultant: Shenzhen Center for Design (Shenzhen Center for Public Art) Contact: Ms. Li 0755-83243435 (+86 13691756979) Address: Room 303, Block A, Shenzhen Sculpture Academy, 8 Zhongkang Rd, Shangmeilin, Futian District, Shenzhen, China