1. Project Description
1.1 Project Name Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban Quality Improvement International Design Competition
1.2 Competition Sponsors, Organizers, and Supporting Agencies
Sponsors: People’s Government of Longgang District; Shenzhen Urban Management Bureau
Organizers: Bantian Sub-district Office, Longgang District, Shenzhen; Longgang District Urban Management Bureau, Shenzhen
Competition Guide Agencies: Urban Planning, Land & Resources Commission of Shenzhen Municipality; Transport Commission of Shenzhen Municipality
Competition Technical Support and Implementation Agency: RJRX Urban Planning & Design Consultants Co. Ltd.
Media Support: ArchDaily, Domus, gooood, UED, ABBS, Nanfang Daily, Yangcheng Evening News, Shenzhen Special Zone Daily, Southern Metropolis Daily, Shenzhen Economic Daily, Shenzhen Evening News,Daily Sunshine, Shenzhen Overseas Chinese News, Shenzhen Metropolis Daily, Shenzhen News
1.3 Region Overview and Competition Background Information
1.3.1 Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Overview
Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone, located at the key node of Shenzhen in connecting North and South, uniting West, and expanding in East; the core is Bantian Sub-district jurisdiction. The research region of this competition is bounded by Meiguan Expressway on the west side, Jihe Highway on the north side, Qingping Highway on the , and a part of Silver Lake Mountain Suburban Park in the South, including four statutory planned area ( Bantian North, Bantian South, Minle region, and LG102-T4). Total area is about 39 squared kilometers. Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone is surrounded by mountain and lakes, on the north, east, and south sides there are 6 characteristic (suburban) parks, in the mountains there are 7 reservoirs, it has good ecological basis, overall high vegetation coverage; at the same time, Ban Xue Gang has a list of Hakka walled villages, including Yangmei Lo Wai, Xiangjiaotang Lo Wai, Bantian Lo Wai, and Hepingtang Lo Wai, has rich history.
International renowned enterprise—Huawei’s headquarter is in Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone, Longgang, Shenzhen. Because there are a group of high-tech and creative enterprises led by Huawei headquarter congregated here, they have pushed forward rapid development of Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone.
In recent years, under the strategic background of Shenzhen eastward strategy, the municipal government has increased investment in the eastern area of Shenzhen. Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone as “the precursor demonstrative zone of Shenzhen Eastward Strategy”, together with Shenzhen Qiaanhai, Houhai headquarter base, East center, and Guangming Phoenix City have constituted key development area of Shenzhen. Proposed in Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban Design International Consultation and Planning Implementation Scheme completed in 2016, Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone led by high-tech creative enterprises and as Huawei takes the lead, will become a “strategically important zone leading the Pearl River Delta creative industry participating in global competition and collaboration”. In the future Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone will use information and communications technology, and technological creative industry as its engine, together with Longhua Center, Qinghu Sub-center, Shenezhenbei Railway Station business center, to develop jointly and become a demonstrative area that unites technological business, industry incubation, and service, merges industrial and urban qualities. The construction goal of Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone is to become a compound technological green creative city that is in the forest, facing the future, having global vision, creative ideal and humanities! Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone will be the strategic center of the Pearl River Delta creative axis, is the key node of Shenzhen uniting with the construction and development of Guangdong, Hong Kong, Macau Bay Area
Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Strategic Orientation Analysis in the Scope of Guangdong, Hong Kong, and Macau Bay Area
Location of Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone in Shenzhen
Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Regional Transportation Analysis in the Scope of Shenzhen
(Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone is right next to the urban center of the Pearl River Delta—Shenzhenbei Railway Station, half an hour commute time from Hong Kong central area West Kowloon, which is helpful for gathering technological and creative talents from Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta, can effectively connect regional creative talents and local “Silicon Valley in the sense of hardware equipment” industrial environment,and stimulate more creative enterprises.)
Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Creative Elements Distribution Analysis Map
(Ban Xue Gang surrounding area is starting to aggregate motivational elements for creation—like Maker Space, Incubator, and other research institutions, making that area the important bearer of Shenzhen creative industry moving northward, and becoming the new origin of creativity.)
1.3.2 Competition Background Information
Since the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, General Secretary Xi Jinping has stressed multiple times that “clear rivers and green hills are as valuable as mountains of gold and silver”, and pointed out that “protecting ecological environment is protecting productivity”, deeply unveiled the relationship between economic development and ecosystem protection, deepened recognition of rules of economic and social development and natural ecosystem, and thus provide guideline and impetus for making China beautiful. Under the strategic instruction of this guideline, this international competition is held according to orientation of Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone required by the municipality of Shenzhen to make it “the precursor demonstrative area of Eastward Strategy”, “the key area of Shenzhen urban quality improvement”, and Shenzhen’s objective of creating the “Cleanest City of the Nation” and “World Renowned Flower City”, and building “National Forest City” work arrangement, and in order to improve quality of the core area of Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone, improve sub-district environment, promote sub-district image, and support sustainable and healthy development of the industry at Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone, and at the same time connect to the overall urban planning execution plan of Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone and ensure periodical results are enacted.
1.4 Competition Overall Goal
This design competition should have a worldly vision, learn from development experiences of developed areas of the globe, unites international top-rank design wisdom, and fully enhances “rooted in local, embrace the world” creative spirits. Should connect the urban quality
improvement plan and current problems that need to be dealt with urgently, make sure the plan can be implemented in the near future, and strive to make a substantial improvement of regional urban quality in a relatively short time period, and then improve overall urban service and competitiveness of the area. At the same time, through improvement in spatial quality, drive local cultural quality to improve, strive to reach the realm and height of “express local essence through culture”, gradually reach the development goal of “city-industry integration, green and humane smart city pioneer demonstration area”.
1.5 Competition Principles
1) Stick to the principle of being urban and public, pay attention to interactive relationship between the project and urban surrounding regions, emphasize openness and inclusiveness when put into practice;
2) Sustainable principle, pay attention to the application of low-carbon eco-technology, the sponge city technology, and green building design technology;
3) Cost-controlled principle, while make the plan creative, practical, and visually pleasing;
4) Respect local cultural context principle, pay attention that the plan is localized, and make sure local history, culture, and geology will be preserved.
1.6 Competition Content
This competition includes four projects: “Bantian in the Forerst” Surrounding Characteristic (Suburban) Parks Holistic Conceptual Design Plan International Competition, Ban Xue Gang Art Center and Surrounding Block Architecture Conceptual Design Plan International Competition, Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Streets and Nodes Greenery and Landscape Improve Design International Competition, and Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban VI and Application Design International Competition. (After each Design agency submit formal sign up form, competition implementation agency will send detailed competition file of each project via email to the email address of signed up agency. ）
2. Competition Rules
The rules of this competition will be divided into two categories depending on the projects that competition agencies choose. Category one is planning and design, including three projects:“Bantian in the Forerst” Surrounding Characteristic (Suburban) Parks Holistic Conceptual Design Plan International Competition, Ban Xue Gang Art Center and Surrounding Block Architecture Conceptual Design Plan International Competition, Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Streets and Nodes Greenery and Landscape Improve Design International Competition; category two is art and graphic design, which refers to Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban VI and Application Design International Competition project.
2.1 Competition Rules of Category One
Competition rules of category one require that this competition be divided into two phases, the first phase is open sigh up and qualification examination; the second phase is design competition.
2.1.1 Phase One: Open Sign up and Qualification Examination
Build Qualification Examination Committee, members are constituted of 5 representatives who are familiar with design level of the industry and have background in the industry of architecture, landscape architecture, and art design, etc. Qualification Examination Committee will have a committee chair to host examination work, the committee chair will be generated through recommendation, and have the same power in decision as other members; specific qualification rules will be decided by Qualification Examination Committee. Methods of qualification examination. Qualification Examination Committee will use disclosed ballot method to examine qualification, achievement, prospective project team, project plan of participation teams, and conceptual design plan, and based on the ranked scores, determine the top 8 teams that will get design compensation, and 2 alternate teams (also to be ranked), if any of the top 8 teams drop out of the second phase of competition, then alternate teams can substitute according to their rank. Other teams that pass qualification examination can also participate in the second phase design competition on their own will, and deliver formal participation confirmation to competition sponsors. Design teams participate on their own will do not get design compensation.
2.1.2 Phase Two: Design Competition
Build Plan Examination Committee, members are constituted of 7 renowned experts in the industry from China or other countries. The committee chair will be hosting examination work of Plan Examination Committee, and has equal right to vote as other members. Plan Examination Committee will determine specific examination rules. Participating teams should submit final files that meet the requirements of design assignment. Plan Examination Committee will examine all submitted design plans, and choose the top 2 teams, provide review, and recommend to the sponsors. The sponsors will research and determine the rank of the top 2 winning teams on the basis of fully respecting expert review opinions. The design team gets the first prize will, base on expert review, be responsible for uniting competition results and deepening conceptual plan design, and hold at least 2 workshops. In the end complete deepening conceptual plan design; the conceptual plan design after deepened should reach the depth of a plan design. The design team gets the second prize should send a core designer participating in the 2 workshops held by the design team that wins, and participate in uniting competition results and deepening conceptual plan design.
2.1.3 Requirements for Design Outcome
1) Design outcome should meet the requirements of Republic of China, Guangdong Province, and Shenzhen on urban design regulation and regulatory files, meet the requirements of competition file, expression of content should be complete, clear, and accurate.
2) Design outcome must be signed and seal affixed by the participating agency or team to be effective. Participating agency should label the name of the design agency on the lower right corner of the back of a complete design outcome file, seal affixed by the design agency, and leave in a folder individually.
3) Each participating agency can only submit one design outcome.
4) All design outcomes (see Design Assignment for design outcome requirements) must be submitted altogether on time, and get receipt from organizers.
5) All design outcomes must be delivered or mailed to location appointed by the sponsors by the deadline (location will be announced later).
2.1.4 Qualification Examination File Submission Requirements
（1）Required qualification examination files
1) Sign up form (see appendix 1); 2) Introduction to the design agency 3) Copy of effective business license (or business registration certificate); 4) Enterprise credential files or awards received (copy, seal affixed)(if there is any); 5) Proof of sign up agency or chief designer participating in projects alike in the past 5 years (not exceeding 5 similar projects), and provide proof materials below: a) Copy of certificate of merit or design contract page that is signed and seal affixed; b) Relevant photos or master drawing of design work; c) Effective office phone number, contact and other relevant proof materials of client of design work. 6) Introduction to chief designer and design team of this project, should provide: introduction to chief designer and members of design team, personal professional qualification certificate. 7) Work plan: list of members in the design team if enters phase two, team collaboration mode, design cycle and other work arrangements; 8) Certificate of legal representative, power of attorney from legal representative (original file, seal affixed or signed), ID of principal (copy, seal affixed); 9) Agencies sign up as a team should submit Design Team Agreement signed by all design firms of the team (see Appendix 2)，and specify the agency leading design process (original copy, seal affixed); 10) Other materials participating agencies think are necessary to provide; ☆ If applicant is a team, each agency of the team provide materials stated above separately and fill in the sign up form. All materials above should be seal affixed.
（2）Qualification examination files compilation
1) All contents above make into a pamphlet with catalog. Paper size A4, 5 copies, seal affixed;
2) Electronic version of all files above copied in a thumb drive and submit together with paper version; send electronic version to competition designate email email@example.com
3) Submitted file should avoid overwrapping on the principle of environmental protection. Pamphlet should not exceed 50 pages (including printed on both sides).
（3）Qualification examination files submission
Participating agency should send materials above to Room 1309, Gongyuandao Building unit B, No.26 Dengliang Road, Shenzhen, before 3 p.m. on November 17.2017（UTC+8）. Recipient: Ms. Li, contact: +86 0755 86549494；13632658134. Qualification examination files received after the deadline will be rejected and returned to the applicant.
2.2 Competition Rules of Category Two (Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban VI and Application Design International Competition Rules)
2.2.1 Phase One: Directional Invitation and Sign up
Category two of this competition uses both directional invitation and open sign up, directional invited agencies and open signed up agencies compete fairly in the competition critique stage. List of agencies invited directionally will be announced at another time.
2.2.2 Phase Two: Competition Critique
Build Plan Examination Committee, members are constituted of 7 renowned experts in the industry from China or other countries. The committee chair will be hosting the examination work of Plan Examination Committee, and has equal right to vote as others. Plan Examination Committee will determine specific examination rules. Participating teams submit final files that meet the requirements of design assignment. Plan Examination Committee will examine all submitted design plans, and choose the top 2 teams and 8 nominees, provide review, and recommend to the sponsors. The sponsors will research and determine the rank of the top 2 winning teams selected by the committee, on the basis of fully respecting expert review opinions. The design team gets the first prize will, base on expert review, be responsible for uniting competition results and deepening conceptual plan design, and hold at least 2 workshops. In the end complete deepening conceptual plan design; the conceptual plan design after deepened should reach the depth of a plan design.
2.2.3 Phase Three: Public Vote
In order to further market result of this VI design, the finalist plans and plans win the first and second prize will be competing for the Best Online Popularity Award through online platform, the participating agency wins the most votes will gain respective prizes. Detailed rules of public vote will be announced at another time.
2.3 Outcome Copyright and Law
1) The right of authorship of all proposals submitted belongs to the design firms. The organizer will not return any documents submitted. The organizer retingtains the copyright of all proposals. 2) The organizer is entitled to use proposals free of charge, including notifying the evaluation result after appraisal, and introducing, displaying and critiquing the proposals through media, professional magazines, books or other forms. 3) All submitted schemes must be originally created by the design firms and are forbidden to cover any material infringing the intellectual property right of any third party. In case of any infringement, the design firms shall undertake the relevant legal responsibilities themselves, which has nothing to do with the organizer. Meanwhile, the participation qualification of the infringing design organizations will be abolished, and their legal responsibilities will be looked into. 4) All documents provided by the organizer (including texts, drawings and electronic data) are subject to copyright protection. Without authorization, any person is forbidden to duplicate, amend, distribute, disclose, lend or transfer the concerned contents; otherwise, he will assume relevant legal liabilities. 5) Governing law: This international competition rule is governed by laws of the People’s Republic of China, which are applicable for the competition work and all documents. In case of any dispute, if the negotiation fails, both parties agree to submit the dispute to China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission, Shenzhen Branch (CIETAC), for arbitration based on CIETAC arbitration rules, with arbitration taking place in Shenzhen. The arbitration will be final and binding on both parties concerned. 6) Confidentiality: Before the announcement of competition results, the organizer will keep all proposals secret. Without the permission of the organizer，any person or institution is forbidden to disclose, publicize or display the proposals in any form before the evaluation is completed, otherwise, that person will bear related legal liabilities.
3. Basic Information on the Four Competition Projects
3.1 “Bantian in the Forest” Surrounding Characteristic (Suburban) Park Holistic Conceptual Design Plan International Competition
Appendix 1:Shenzhen Longgang District Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Core Area Urban Quality Improvement Serial Plan International Competition Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Surrounding Suburban Parks Holistic Conceptual Design Plan International Competition Sign up Information Form “Bantian in the Forest” Surrounding Characteristic (Suburban) Park Holistic Conceptual Design Plan International Competition Announcement File
3.2 Ban Xue Gang Art Center and Surrounding Block Architecture Conceptual Design Plan International Competition
Appendix 2:Shenzhen Longgang District Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Core Area Urban Quality Improvement Serial Plan International Competition Ban Xue Gang Art Center and Surrounding Block Architecture Conceptual Design Plan International Competition Sign up Information Form Ban Xue Gang Art Center and Surrounding Block Architecture Conceptual Design Plan International Competition Announcement File
3.3 Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Streets and Nodes Greenery and Landscape Improve Design International Competition
Appendix 3:Shenzhen Longgang District Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Core Area Urban Quality Improvement Serial Plan International Competition Ban Xue Gang Improve Greenery and Landscape Design of Urban Streets and Nodes International Competition Sign up Information Form Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Streets and Nodes Greenery and Landscape Improve Design International Competition Announcement File
3.4 Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban VI and Application design International Competition
Appendix 4:Shenzhen Longgang District Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Core Area Urban Quality Improvement Serial Plan International Competition Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone UrbanVI and Application Design International Competition Sign up Information Form Ban Xue Gang High-Tech Zone Urban VI and Application design International Competition Announcement File
4. Competition Sign up Method
Design agencies that have intention to sign up can fill out the sign up information form from now (see attachment) and send it to competition committee email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) to sign up formally, so that we can inform project progress in time and send detailed competition files. Sign up consultation: Ms. Li +86 075586549494; 13632658134